Episode 378: Center for Lyme Action - an interview with Bonnie Crater
- Bonnie Crater, a renowned name in the Lyme disease community.
- Received numerous inquiries from listeners eager to hear her story.
- Nicole Bell special guest co-hosting with Rich Johannesen
Background & Personal Story:
- Bonnie's early life in Portola Valley, California.
- Journey into microbiology and winning the science prize in high school.
- Experiences at the University of Richmond and experiments in labs.
- Entry into the tech business; starting a hat company in Princeton.
- Venture into the computer industry and running a computer store.
The Lyme Connection:
- Introduction to the Bay Area Lyme Foundation and the Center for Lyme Action, both founded by Bonnie.
- Recognizing the gap in knowledge about Lyme disease.
Bay Area Lyme Foundation:
- The discovery of high rates of Lyme disease-carrying ticks in California.
- The initial projects and efforts to educate people about Lyme disease in California.
- Mission of Bay Area Lyme Foundation.
- Partnering with government organizations like NIST to understand the hurdles in Lyme disease research.
- The need for better diagnostics for early and accurate Lyme detection.
Center for Lyme Action:
- The initiative to attract new researchers to the field.
- Bonnie's efforts to increase federal funding for Lyme disease research.
- Meeting with Congresswoman Barbara Lee and the need for a lobbyist.
- Formation of the Center for Lyme Action and its first event in 2019.
- The Kay Hagan Tick Act Its journey, renaming, and the speed of its enactment.
Impact of Advocacy:
- The significance of continuous funding for researchers in Lyme disease.
- Role of private foundations in creating a pool of exceptional researchers.
- Future projections: Improving diagnostics first, followed by therapeutics.
- Gratitude for connections made in the Lyme community.
- The complexity of understanding neurological disease.
- Acknowledgment of the good science and good work being done in the field.
- Appreciation for the network and shared experiences.
End Note: Stay tuned for more episodes of our Tick Boot Camp Podcast. If you found this episode helpful, please share it with friends, family, and on social media. Remember to subscribe for more insights into Lyme disease and other crucial health topics.